[Tutor] permissions and other hairpulls

Kirk Bailey idiot1@netzero.net
Sun May 11 08:57:02 2003

permissions in FreeBSD are the most fustrating aspect of web scripting.

Here is an error:
Traceback (innermost last):
    File "/www/www.listville.net/cgi-bin/TLlistmaker2.py", line 195, in ?
      os.chmod(fullpathtoscript+'/lists/'+mylist,666)
OSError: [Errno 79] Inappropriate file type or format:
'/www/www.listville.net/cgi-bin/lists/test33'

The script is attempting to set the mod to 666 for a file just created and closed.
It is created by the script, and examination shows it is 644.
Another scipt is trying later to add to it, and failing, for a permissions reason. ALL
scripts are 755, owned by nobody:wheel. All such text files are also nobody:wheel, and
work fine when 666, but problems when 644. Any suggestions from the brethern?
--

end

Respectfully,
              Kirk D Bailey

  | Owner  Howler Monkey  Email:  http://www.howlermonkey.net/ |
  | Inventor of TinyList list server: http://www.tinylist.org/ |
  | Consulting freestyle Grump: http://www.sacredelectron.org/ |
  | Remember: When we referr to FREE software, we are talking  |
  |           about FREEDOM, not $PRICE$.                      |