[Tutor] What would you recomend a total newbie to do?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld@blueyonder.co.uk
Thu May 8 03:10:03 2003

> What are the best resorces to learn python.  I'm a non programmer so
> wont understand something with alot of tech terms.

I'm biased but think that both my web tutor and book do a good job.
For more unbiased reviews of the book refer to Amazon!

> I have downloaded 2.2.2 and it comes with a tutorial

Its very good but aimed at programmers. My book/website aims to get
you
up to the point where you can understand the official one...

> ...is there a book that starts for newbies and by the
> time you get to the end of the book you know even the advanced
stuff?

Unfortunately no. Its too much to ask of a single book.
The Deitel "How to Program..." books try this but personally I think
they jump from beginner mode to expert mode too quickly. And they
are expensive!

Pesonally I'd recommend going through one of the Newbies tutors
(eg mine?!) then the official tutor. Then start playing with the
examples and exercises.
Once you feel comfortable try buying one of the advanced books
and probably one of the rerference books out there. Say
Programming Python and Pyton in a Nutshell - both published by
O'Reilly.

> should i have downloaded 2.3.1b instead.  i wont know if the
programs has a
> glitch or if it's me so i chose "stable" release?

Nope, stick with 2.2 for now. You won't need any of the 2.3 features
for a while and a solid baseline is better for a beginner.

HTH,

Alan G