[Tutor] An interesting web site for those who want to program adventure games

Zak Arntson zak@harlekin-maus.com
Sun May 4 23:05:02 2003

> I just ran into the following link; it's a tutorial on writing adventure
> games (circa 1983):
>
>     http://www.atariarchives.org/adventure
>
> Would anyone be interested in "porting" the examples over from BASIC to
> Python?  It might make a fun project for us here on Tutor; a few of us
> appear to have been exposed to Basic in our past lives... *grin* Any
> takers?

Man, that's a blast! The great thing is, we're no longer restrained by
memory, so we could even convert the rooms to lists:

caveRoom = Room ()
room.exits = {'east':hallwayThree, 'west':guardRoom, 'north':'Your way is
blocked by a brick wall.'}

That would be a pretty major restructuring of the BASIC code, though. :)

--
Zak Arntson
www.harlekin-maus.com - Games - Lots of 'em