[Tutor] New to tutor

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 21 18:50:02 2003

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Billie wrote:

> I just recently found out about python, and am beginning to get started
> on learning it.  I did BASIC programming waaay back in the 80's, and am
> really looking forward to learning this language.

Hi Billie,

10  PRINT "Very cool; I have somewhat fond memories reading introductory"
15  PRINT "BASIC tutorials.  I've been told that BASIC is brain-damaging,"
20  PRINT "but I think I turned out ok."

> Are there any lesson plans anywhere?  Books?

Yes, there are quite a few that you can browse through.  Mark Pilgrim
makes his extensive "Dive into Python" tutorial available online:

    http://www.diveintopython.org/

It's professionally written, and a very good book.  If you want to read
shorter tutorials, the Python.org web site hosts links to several of them
here:

    http://python.org/doc/Newbies.html

And if you're looking for lesson plans, the Livewires educational group
has written one for their computer programming camp, and have made their
materials available online:

    http://www.livewires.org.uk/python/

Because Livewires was designed for young readers as its target audience,
the Livewires tutorial is very oriented on concrete examples (tic-tac-toe
game, designing Spacewar, etc.), and I find it very fun to read.

> I've been on the list and receiving mail, but haven't actually gotten
> started yet due to illness. This appears to me to be a very helping
> group, and I'm sure I'm going to have questions and need help.

You are always welcome to ask questions; be prepared, though, for a slew
of responses.  *grin*  We'll do our best of help.

Good luck to you!