[Tutor] Idle on RH 7.2 questions (fwd)

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat Mar 8 02:42:02 2003

[Hi Tim; let me forward this to the main Tutor list; I think you
accidently forwarded only to tutor-admin.]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 11:52:18 -0900
From: Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
To: Chris Kassopulo <ckasso@sprynet.com>
Cc: tutor-admin@python.org
Subject: Re: [Tutor] Idle on RH 7.2 questions

Hello Chris;
* Chris Kassopulo <ckasso@sprynet.com> [030307 10:57]:

> Greetings Tim,
>
> Note that I am using python 2.2 under slackware.
> /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/idlelib is the
> directory that contains IdleConf.py and there is
> no site-packages/idle directory.

 Just for the heck of it, I changed the directory name
 to idlelib and got the same error message.

 Reading the docs for idle under 2.2.2, I note the
 the author says that idle 'needs' python 1.5.2 to
 run (line 38). Perhaps I need to redirect my query
 to ask this question:

 How can I use my existing working version of idle
 (the one that came with the install, which is
 now named idle1.5) to load the python2.2.2 interpreter
 to that I can use some of the new features, like
 list comprehension.

 that would work for me.

 Thanks Chris!
 -tim-