[Tutor] A rant about Tutor homework policy

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry@attbi.com
Sun Jun 15 14:08:02 2003

On Sunday 15 June 2003 00:57, Alan Gauld wrote:
> > I agree 100%. Either answer the question or delete it. Who needs a
>
> lecture
>
> > on "you should do you own home work" etc.
>
> Most folks on tutor do just that. A few will reply pointing out
> the policy of the list. They do this for any of several reasons,
> but two good ones are:
>
> 1) They want to discourage the practice since homework requests
>    are the equivalent of spam so far as this list goes.
>
> 2) They actually want to help the poster by pointing them at
>    what is generally a more productive approach

and a 3rd reason I occasionally respond is:

3) if no one responds a new reader of the list may send the "help" requested.
Several times in recent weeks I have seen responses sent to a request I would
not answer out of concerns of cheating.

It has been a while since I saw the "welcome to this list" email, does it
comment on this policy?  Perhaps the text on the website should as well.