[Tutor] recommended mail modules?

Magnus Lyckå magnus@thinkware.se
Wed Jun 11 12:59:02 2003

At 10:58 2003-06-11 -0400, Lance E Sloan wrote:
>This Perl program is designed to go through the messages in a mail
>folder (UNIX mbox-style), examine headers, and do various things.  It
>uses Mail::Folder, Mail::Internet, and some MIME modules.  I'm trying to
>figure out which Python modules I should use for this.

I don't know what these Perl modules do, but the fairly recent
module 'email' in the standard library pretty much replaces
most other libraries. Since it's so recent (2.1 or 2.1, don't
remember which) there are still a lot of other modules out there,
and not so much written about this one in various web pages. The
docs are reasonable though, with a number of examples. See:
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/node397.html

For mailbox access, see
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-mailbox.html

As a general rule with Python: Look in the standard library
first. This is a big difference compared with Perl unless
Perl changed radically since I discoverd Python in 1997. So,
try to restrain your impulses to search Vault of Parnassus
etc--look here first:
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-mailbox.html

--
Magnus Lycka (It's really Lyckå), magnus@thinkware.se