[Tutor] OHMYGOD...

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry@comcast.net
Tue Jul 29 21:37:46 2003

> Good thing the hosting firm does backups, even when it's my box. BAD
> news is the last one was 3 weeks ago. TinyList.1.7.3 is GONE, tarball
> ANd working installation. Several site page updates are GONE. Several
> doc file updates are GONE. The recently installed wiki is GONE.

what have we learned boys and girls?

1) use a revision control system
    This is very, very important.  Even if it is just a small project now, get
    in the habit.  This lets you recover from all kind of stupid mistakes
    (late night hacking, hacking while drunk, hacking while stupid, etc)
    Note, either do not store the main repository on the same machine or
    replicate it several places.

    This applies to code, config files, etc.  I have a hacker friend who keeps
    ~/ in cvs, even his e-mail.

2) keep copies of things you are working on locally

3) learn from Linus.  His famous quote is (basically) -- why should I worry
    about backups?
    I just put stuff on an ftp site and let the world mirror it for me.  This
    is part of the rationale behind "release early, release often".