[Tutor] Looking for some utilities

Tim Johnson tim@johnsons-web.com
Fri Jul 25 16:58:01 2003

* Alan Gauld <alan.gauld@blueyonder.co.uk> [030725 11:24]:

> > I am having to move my development environment  for a program I am
> > working on from linux to windows, and I am looking for some
> utilities to
> > run on windows.
>
> This may be stating the obvious but get a copy of cygwin installed.
> It gives you all the Linux tools you are used to(bash, vim, awk, sed,
> grep, etc) plus a version of python with GNU readline.
>
> > A text editor that supports tabs.
>
> I'm not sure I know what you mean here. Every editor I've
> ever used has supported tabs....
>
> > While IDLE works great for an editor.
> > I use a number of information files that I update while I code.
> > Variable names, functions, to do list, change log, etc and
> > would like to run them all in one program.
>
> Well vim allows you to open multiple windows if thats what
> you mean? Or do you mean a ttabbed window inteface ala
> Netscape? - the penny drops... Can't help with that I hate
> tabbed editors, I prefer multi windows with buffer lists
> ala vim or emacs
>
> > FTP software. Nothing fancy but free with the ability
> > to remember a log on.
>
> WS-FTP is what I use, seems to work OK.
>
> > A 2 windows configurable file manager, similar to worker, or gentoo,
> > if you remember the old amiga DirWorks,Dir Opus, Disk master.
>
> What does that mean in comparison to Windows Explorer?
> Personally I tend to just use bash or explorer, between them
> they meet my neds.

 Probably veering even further off-topic here, but I'll go
 a step further than Alan and suggest that Win4Lin, available
 at www.netraverse.com allows windows desktop and virtual machine
 (unique I.P. address) to be run from Linux.
 Hahaha! and when Windows crashes, you just reboot it from the
 xterm command line in 10 seconds or less.
 You can then share the same filesystem - I can use Vim or emacs
 from linux and edit, deploy for windows without switching desktops
 or doing a dual-boot.

 and it costs less than a Night on the Town.
 tim
--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
      http://www.johnsons-web.com