[Tutor] Send email w/ outlook

Jeff Shannon jeff@ccvcorp.com
Thu Jul 24 16:42:02 2003

Michael Long wrote:

>Hi,
>
>This may be very simple but I have googled and read and googled some
>more without gaining any enlightenment. I have a python script that
>generates a file. I want to send that file as an attachement in an
>email. The machine that the script will run on uses outlook as the mail
>client to an exchange server. How do I go about this? BTW, I have
>downloaded and gone through the documentation in the win32all module.

Instead of working out how to control Outlook, you're probably better
off looking at the standard library's email and smtplib modules.  You
can generate your own email (with attachments) and send it directly to
the server, rather than having to go through the intermediate step of
controlling a mail client.

Both of these modules should have pretty decent documentation.  If you
get stuck on anything, ask again here and we'll see what we can work out.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International