[Tutor] Get me out of the blue (help urgently needed!)

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Tue Jul 22 15:07:01 2003

[Gregor Lingl]
> I use Norton's Internet security and this reports:
> I:\Python23\pythonw.exe is going to access the internet ... (or
> something like this).
>
> I apparently did misinterpret this. (For me this raises
> the question, if it were impossible for programs like
> ZoneAlarm, Norton's... etc, to find out (e.g. via the
> IP adress) if such traffic is just adressing the own machine?)

It seems odd to me too, but I haven't written such a program so really don't
know what their problems might be.  The localhost network address
(127.0.0.1) sure doesn't *seem* like a hard thing to recognize!  Then again,
the fewer special cases in a firewall app, the fewer things it can get
wrong.