[Tutor] Finding out if we can use a graphical environment or not

Jorge Godoy godoy@metalab.unc.edu
Wed Jul 16 11:19:01 2003

Magnus Lyck=E5 <magnus@thinkware.se> writes:

> In X the typical approach is to check whether the DISPLAY
> environment variable is set.

OK. This is the second message that suggests that and it is less
expensive than the 'try' approach. It also solves the problem to me.=20

> Will you ever run your programs on a Microsoft platform with DOS
> prompt but no GUI available? What would that be? A toaster?

Actually, I dunno. Probably not.

> Personally, I'd use different scripts to start up the GUI and
> console version of the application. Keep it simple.

I've been doing that with other tools. I just wanted to know if I was
doing the right thing or the wrong thing... Everything is in separate
modules and the interface is a separate thing that can reuse the other
code, so this won't make me write more core (actually, I wouldn't
write the check for the X environment...).=20

Thanks,
--=20
Godoy.     <godoy@metalab.unc.edu>