[Tutor] Linux versions

Alan Trautman ATrautman@perryjudds.com
Wed Jul 2 10:30:26 2003

My recent experience is that Mandrake is the best for new LINUX users. It
can install on a base system in right around 20 keystrokes. I recently
installed it on a devil system (SCSI, multi-NIC, odd ball video) and it took
first try and so far 1 weeks limited usage it seems fine.

My last experience with Redhat 8.1 was that the install was only slightly
harder to install but was harder to configure as it still needed a
combination of X based and console based adjustments to work. Mandrakes
HardDrake (X-configure) is really slick.

As far as Python Mandrake will install Python 2.2 and TCL 8.? by default so
I've never had any Python problems. I don't know what the current Redhat
install is. I have had some troubles with Mandrakes SDL RPM which is
disappointing as it is an essential? library, at least for me. I also
haven't had time to really dig into it.

HTH,
Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Hartley [mailto:p.hartley@spitech.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 10:47 PM
To: tutor@python.org
Subject: [Tutor] Linux versions

I currently work almost exclusively with Windows 98 and XP. But I am
becoming increasingly annoyed at the bully tactics of Microsoft so I would
like to switch to Linux. I have made a couple of half-hearted atempts in the
past but never stuck with it. This time I am serious!!

So I need a recommendation. I recently saw questions where some python
packages were being downloaded and would not work because the Linux was
Mandrake and not Red Hat. I must say all the marketing hype of Mandrake had
me looking at that version of Linux - as most of my time is spent with
email, wordprocessing and spreadsheets - not programming. I am not on OS
techie and I guess I would want to dual boot if only so I could play
Railroad Tycoon sometimes.

Any suggestions or experiences that Windows users have had switching to
Linux would be most appretiated and what are the complications for using
Python on the different systems.

Kind regards

Paul