[Tutor] Python and Tcl/Tk

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Tue Jan 28 10:50:49 2003

> Is anybody in this list familiar with Tcl/Tk? How does
> it compare to Python as a scripting language? Any
> areas where Tcl would be superior to Python? Please
> comment.

Slightly. Its usually shorter than Python for short programs.
As the program size increases the difference diminishes and then
swaps in Python's favour - in my experience.

You can compare the two on my web tutor which uses Tcl in the
basics section as a comparison to Python and also a very short
example of Tk in my GUI topic.

www.scriptics.com is/was Tcl's home site.

I find Tcl interesting conceptually in much the same way I
find Lisp and Smalltalk interesting. Fun to play with but
I never seem to actually use them for anything big...

Alan g.
Author of the Learn to Program website
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/