[Tutor] Upgrading of python 2.2.2 on RedHat 8.0

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat Jan 11 03:11:01 2003

On 10 Jan 2003, Dick Kniep wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am facing problems with upgrading the standard installation of Python
> 2.2.1 of RedHat 8 to Python 2.2.2. When I install it "according to the
> book", it places all files in usr/local/lib, whereas RedHat expects them
> in usr/lib. I haven't seen any RPM's for Redhat 8 (only for older
> versions)

Hi Dick,

Yes, Python 2.2.2 is in Rawhide and the Redhat 8.1 beta, but it's not in
the standard distribution of Redhat 8 yet; I think Redhat's still testing
for compatibility with their own administrative scripts.

However, it's perfectly ok to have Python installed in /usr/local/bin; you
just have to make sure that you either explicitely type

    /usr/local/bin/python

whenever you use Python, or that you place /usr/local/bin in your PATH
with higher priority than /usr/bin.  Would this work for you?

Good luck to you!