[Tutor] Assigning function keywords dynamically

Philip Kilner phil@xfr.co.uk
Tue Jan 7 18:41:24 2003

Hi Alan,

In article
<7497DCA1C240C042B28F6657ADFD8E097022FD@i2km11-ukbr.domain1.systemhost.ne
t>,  wrote:
> > wondering: how much innovation occurs when the commercial
> > imperative is removed?
>
> Quite a lot. There are many open source type software projects
> that are a long way ahead of any commercial competitor - X Windows
> itself is probably the best example! Or the GNU emacs editor. Or gcc...

Or Python? Commercial competitors I see none...

<economics>

The idea that the wheel is an open source component in a proprietary
market hasn't held the motor industry back too badly. Clever commercial
types recognise that, just as designing next years Merc is a commercial
imperative, so is *NOT* re-inventing the wheel.

</economics>

<agit-prop>

Where would we be if the likes of, say, Bill Gates, Monsanto or Glaxo had
their hands on a patent for the wheel? Not driving around in a Mercedes,
that's for sure...

</agit-prop>

Regards,

PhilK