[Tutor] Python docs- makes the learning harder sometimes

Don Arnold Don Arnold" <darnold02@sprynet.com
Mon Jan 6 12:05:04 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Cappellini" <tony@tcapp.com>
To: <tutor@python.org>
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2003 1:24 AM
Subject: [Tutor] Python docs- makes the learning harder sometimes

> I've got a book which refers to some really useful string functions like.
>
> startswith()
> endswith()
>
> as in
> s="Hello Python"
> s.startswith("He")
> s.endswith("on",6)
>
> where each function has 2 parameters,
> however, I don't understand why these functions are not in the Global
> Module Index

I think you're expecting too much of the Global Module Index. It provides a
llisting of Python's standard modules. What you are looking for are methods
of the string class. Since this class is built into the language, there's no
module associated with it to index. You'll have better luck looking for
these in the Python Library Reference, where they're under section 2.2.6.1,
'String Methods'.

> Arggggghh !

I understand your frustration. Learning a language straight from the
documentation (even a great language with great documentation) is tough. I
think you're better off working with a book that teaches Python, such as
Chun's "Core Python Programming" or Lutz's "Learning Python".

HTH,

Don