[Tutor] Tkinter and IDLE2.2

ahimsa ahimsa@onetel.net.uk
Wed Jan 1 15:43:01 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 17:00, Danny and Thomas from the
tutor-request@python.org wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 10:52:42 -0800 (PST)
> From: Danny Yoo <dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu>
> To: ahimsa <ahimsa@onetel.net.uk>
> cc: tutor@python.org
> Subject: Re: [Tutor] idle or lack thereof ...

> Ah, I see.  It looks like you're using a locally-compiled version of
> Python.  You may want to check if you have a library called "Tcl/Tk"
> installed on your system.  The _tkinter module is an extension that makes
> Tcl/Tk graphics libraries available to Python, and that error message is
> saying that it can't find the graphics library.  Tkinter is a graphics
> toolkit library that it uses to display the windows of IDLE, so that's why
> it's a prerequisite.
>

> You'll want to look to see if the 'development' stuff for Tcl/Tk is
> installed with your system.  On a Debian Linux system, for example, the
> package 'tk8.3-dev' is the one you'll want to install.  Once you've found
> and installed the development packages, a recompile of Python should
> autodetect the graphics library.
>
> I'm only guessing that you're using a Linux though; what kind of Unix
> distribution are you using?
>

> Good luck to you!

and

> Message: 9
> From: Thomas Rivas <trivas7@rawbw.com>
> To: tutor@python.org
> Subject: Re: [Tutor] idle or lack thereof
> Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 16:40:37 -0800
>

> Looking at the last line in your traceback("import Error: No module named
> _tkinter") I suspect you don't have the tk and tcl libraries on your system.
> Under KPackage on Mandrake 9.0 tk is installed as an rpm (Red Hat Package
> Manager) package  under the libraries section described as "Tk GUI toolkit
> for Tcl" (which is also installed in the same libraries section as tcl), and
> " a X Windows widget set designed to work closely with the tcl scripting
> language." IDLE comes with the Python installation; I invoke it by typing
> "idle" at the command line (well, actually I use the Python-headed icon I put
> on my KDE panel) Make sure you have these two libraries installed on your
> system.
>
> Thomas Rivas

Thanks to you both for attending to this. Y'know the funny - and
confusing - thing for me about this is that I can invoke IDLE and it
runs Python 2.2c1 and I can do that from either the command line (typing
IDLE2.2) or from a launcher that I have added to my gnome panel. Reason
would suggest that if I can do it once then I should be able to call it
up for python2.2.2 - but that is where the problems are. I obviously
have the Tkinter library(libraries), but the latest version of python
doesn't recognise them.
Any ideas?

AmF

--