[Tutor] Learning Tkinter

Terry Carroll carroll@tjc.com
Tue Feb 18 20:34:02 2003

I'm just starting to play with Tkinter, and it's (as expected), a bit
alien to me.  Any tips on how to learn it?

It strikes me that Tkinter is probably pretty easy and intuitive to
someone who already knows Tcl/Tk, but I don't.  I don't really want to
learn Tcl.

I've found what appears to be the only book dedicated to Tk under Python
(John Grayson's "Python & Tkinter Programming"), and that looks like
overkill for me.  I just want to add some straightforward GUI stuff[1] to
an existing program to make it more usable.

Ideas?

Fred Lundh's "An Introduction To Tkinter"[2] looks good, and I'd buy it in
a heartbeat if it were a published book.

Anyone have any opinions on Wesley Chun's "Core Python Programming"?  It
has a chapter on "GUI Programing with Tkinter," but only about 20 pages.

[1] Well, not too straightfoward; it will involve output of Chinese
characters in Unicode and input in Unicode, GB and Big5 encodings.
Currently I'm doing the "I/O" by altering the Python source and
hard-coding hex strings.

[2] http://www.pythonware.com/library/index.htm

--
Terry Carroll        |  "To have this rare opportunity
Santa Clara, CA      |    is a rare opportunity."