[Tutor] tabs or spaces (the endless debate!)

R. Alan Monroe R. Alan Monroe" <amonroe@columbus.rr.com
Sat Feb 15 16:13:01 2003

> Because if you write your code to wrap at 79 chars (which is a good
> idea for readability) then whether a tab is 4 or 8 chars matters (and

In my opinion, this is more a legacy problem. On all the major
platforms we have editors that can display long lines using scroll
bars or methods of scrolling. This isn't vi on vt220 any more :^)

> diff't environments use diff't sizes for tabs).

So? It's purely cosmetic. The content remains true.

Anyway, I don't think there's a single "right" answer to this
question. I have always used real tabs up until now, but I'm trying
spaces on my latest project just for comparison. :^)

Alan