[Tutor] ms notepad

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry@attbi.com
Thu Feb 13 22:33:01 2003

On Thursday 13 February 2003 19:16, GREENDAY31087@aol.com wrote:
>    I have heard that notepad is not a good text editor and I would like=
> know why. What are the disadvantages? What would be a better choice for=
 me?
> What does that choice depend on?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> -Wayne

notepad is a perfectly fine text editor.  It is a poor editor for a progr=
ammer=20
though.  A good one knows what language you are writing in and adapts=20
accordingly.

Every programmer I know has one editor they prefer above any other so you=
 are=20
bound to get a different opinion from every person you ask.  They key the=
=20
editor should assist you in your task, not stand there idle (or get in th=
e=20
way).

Think of it this way.  When you write a paper for school do you use notep=
ad? =20
Or do you use a word processor with things like spell check, support for=20
layouts, etc?  Why should coding be different?  I spend most of my time w=
hile=20
at work changing and writing code so anything I can do to optimize that t=
ime=20
is worth it.