[Tutor] Just beginning

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat Dec 27 16:00:32 EST 2003

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Schultz, Bob wrote:

> I am new to programming, but have decided on Python after much
> researching and reading on the web.

Hi Bob, welcome aboard!

> My question is this: I have an extra computer that am going to use
> solely for programming and experimenting. Should I use Linux or windows
> as my OS or doesn't it matter? Does Python work better on one platform
> than the other. I am excited to get going!

Python works well on both Windows and Linux.  I'd recommend using whatever
platform you are most familiar with --- Python as a language is platform
agnostic.

We'll try to point you toward good resources for exploring Python.  Have
you had a chance to see:

    http://python.org/topics/learn/

yet?  It has links to a lot of good Python tutorials, and it should help
you find out more about the language.

As you're learning Python, please feel free to bring up your questions on
tutor at python.org --- all of us here will be happy to chat with you about
Python.  Don't worry if the questions seem 'silly' --- we're all 'newbies'
here, in one form or another.  *grin*

By the way, as you're posting questions on Python-Tutor, if you are
getting messages about 'Moderator need to check your message...' or
something like that, that is because you need to subscribe to the mailing
list.  We're restricting posting privileges to subscribers only, as a
spam-filtering measure.

You can find details about subscription here: