[Tutor] How to integrate python, vtk and C++ ?

Daniel Ehrenberg littledanehren at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 16 16:17:49 EST 2003

Yi-Yu Chou wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I want to integrate python, vtk and my own C++
> object.
> Is it possible to do it by using python/C API ?
> Where can I find the examples ?
> Thanks in advance !!!
>
> Best,
> YY

VTK has bindings to both C++ and Python, so you should
have no problem using it. The Python/C API is somewhat
cumbersome, though. People usually use higher-level
interfaces. One of the most popular higher-level
interfaces is SWIG. With SWIG, you just need a C or
C++ source and some configuration files, and then SWIG
preprocesses the files and does all of the Python/C
API for you. Another popular choice is Boost.Python,
but it has some bugs when using Python 2.3.

Daniel Ehrenberg