[Tutor] python beginner

philip gilchrist philip at pacer.co.za
Mon Dec 8 09:44:13 EST 2003

I think a problem for most wannabee programmers, is that they don't know
WHAT to program.

If we ask someone who has been programming for a while, the professional
programmer thinks that an answer like ">>> bases = ['A', 'C', 'G', 'T']
>>> bases
['A', 'C', 'G', 'T']
>>> bases.append('U')
>>> bases
['A', 'C', 'G', 'T', 'U']
>>> bases.reverse()
>>> bases
['U', 'T', 'G', 'C', 'A']
>>> bases[0]
'U'
>>> bases[1]
'T'
>>> bases.remove('U')
>>> bases
['T', 'G', 'C', 'A']
>>> bases.sort()
>>> bases
['A', 'C', 'G', 'T']" is the answer that we are looking for, but in all
honesty it just scares the cr*p out of us:-)

Does someone have a very entry level program that does more than "hello
world"? Everyone has done "hello world" and then if they are like me,
can't think of anything else to do.

Could one of the programmers guide us with a program that simulates a
traffic light for example? (red, green and yellow lights on a framework
with different timing)

This would enable us beginner to begin with a clear picture of the end
in mind and make it something that we are able to see results from.

regards

Philip Gilchrist-----Original Message-----