[Tutor] program still doesnt work

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Dec 5 19:22:41 EST 2003

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Udz wrote:

> well, when i just click on the original .py file, the python command
> line window pops up, then an application error:
>
>  The instruction at "0x77fc9e82" referenced memory at "ox2049202c". The
> memory could not be "written".
>
> Click on OK to terminate the program
> Click on CANCEL to debug the program

Hi Udz,

Ok, that's the error message we needed to see.  There's something
seriously wrong here, as the error message is not coming from your
program, but from the Python runtime itself as it is interacting with
Windows.

Here's the good news: your program itself is probably perfectly fine.
But here's the bad news: the problem is something else, and we'll have to
hunt it down.

A few possibilities include an out-of-control virus checker, or a corrupt
Python installation.

Let's first check to see if the Python installation is healthy.  Udz, can
you try reinstalling Python?  Uninstall the current version of Python on
your syste, and try using the "ActiveState" version of Python:

    http://activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePython

and see if it behaves better.  If you install ActivePython, you'll have to
reinstall Py2exe as well.  Afterwards, try out your program again and see
if you get a Windows error message.

These sort of issues are always frustrating, but I hope we can get them
fixed fast so you can share your program.  Good luck!