[Tutor] popen's wierdness (on Win2K)

Branimir Petrovic BranimirP at cpas.com
Thu Dec 4 18:34:23 EST 2003

Hi Danny, thanks for reply, "late" does not matter, answering counts!
List is busy lately, and my question was neither very straightforward,
nor was it appealing.

> It sounds like you may be running into some flow control issues. The
> Python Library Documentation mentions them slightly:
>
>     http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/popen2-flow-control.html

Python does have lots of documentation doesn't it, and not all
is in one place, nor is it where ("the fresh") one would expect
it to be. Had seen a lot of it, but this particular piece - I
missed. Weird and interesting, sad also as it clearly indicates
that popen is not a proper scratch for my itch.

> Anyway, there's an entry in the official Python FAQ that should help:
>
> http://www.python.org/doc/faq/library.html#how-do-i-run-a-subp
rocess-with-pipes-connected-to-both-input-and-output

Following this link leads right to Pexpect - exact the right thing I
know I need, the "thing" I know I can not have as it does not run on
Windows:(( How frustrating... And all I wanted to do is to run and
control various third party applications through Python. Apparently
not a trivial requirement, but quite appealing thought nevertheless.

Looks like Python wrapper for sql scripts and SQL*Plus will have to
be shelved until such a time I am able to switch platform.

> Good luck to you!

That's the fallback I've been counting on;) Thanks again Danny!

Branimir