[Tutor] Help in geting external program output

Wael Salloum wsalloum at intertrust.com
Wed Aug 20 18:25:36 EDT 2003

Hello!

            So I am just learning python- and I have a program in java
and it writes into a file, and I want it to return the filename to me
(in python.)

            So I have a script and I use fileName = os.popen('java
theApplication').read()

            However, its always returning blank!

            Now when I do os.popen('dir').read() it works just fine...

            So my question is, what does Python deem is the output of a
file, and how can I get my java code to 'output' a filename..

            Its obviously not println's (I tried that).. so I am
stumped.. Do you have any ideas?

            I just started in python, so I am sorry if this is a stupid
question- I am not subscribed to the list so let me know how it goes.

            Thanks... Wael