[Tutor] forking process with python

Jimmy verma jim_938 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 17 05:20:55 EDT 2003

Hello,

I am having a problem in understanding this example from the o'rellys book
for python programming.

#!/usr/bin/python

def counter(count):
	for i in range(count):
		time.sleep(10)
		print '[%s]--> %s ' %(os.getpid(), i)

for i in range(10):
	pid = os.fork()
	if pid != 0:
		print 'Process %d spawned' %pid
	else:
		counter(10)
		os._exit(0)

print 'Main process exiting.'

I am not getting how this os.fork is working as when the child process will
be created, when the pid will be zero.

As far i can understand is that fork returns the pid of the parent and 0 as
the return value for the child process( am i right ?).

Kindly suggest sthing regarding the working of this example.
If we have some links on the internet from where i can get information
related to forking process with python, pls point me towards that also.

Thanks to all.

Regards,

Jim