[Tutor] pyopengl for python 2.3?

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Tue Aug 12 12:06:52 EDT 2003

SGD wrote:

> Is anyone using pyopengl with python 2.3 release?
>
> If so can you explain to me how to get around the installer message
> python 2.2 not found. I tried to install from pythons shell but got
> an error saying NameError: name 'std_include_dirs' is not defined
> but the directory strucure is consistant. Im on windows, it that
> helps any, and the error code lines in the setup.py points tward my
> MSVS.net directory and every thing seems to be straight.
>
> Or will I have to wait for a python 2.3 release of pyopengl? If so
> anyone got any info on when it might be release, the web site gives no
> clues for me to go off of?

I don't use PyOpenGL, but it most likely uses compiled extensions
(.pyd). Compiled extensions are not portable between different versions
of Python. Even with no PyOpenGL code changes, the libraries would need
to be recompiled with the Python 2.3 headers/libraries. So, yes, you'll
have to wait for a Python 2.3 release of PyOpenGL, unless you want to
try downloading the source and compiling it yourself...

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International