[Tutor] Testing a variable for being a number, string or other object...

Marc Barry marc_barry at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 12 10:22:12 EDT 2003

Dear All:

My first question is how do I test if a variable is a number or a string?  I
need to to do this for error checking on values passed into methods.

The second question I have is does Python have a way of testing for
instances like Java does?  For example, the "instanceof" operator that lets
you determine if an instance is of a certain type?

Regards,

Marc