[Tutor] RE: running boa constructor

pan@uchicago.edu pan@uchicago.edu
Sun Apr 20 19:36:39 2003

>Rick Pasotto rick@niof.net
>Thu Apr 17 10:34:01 2003
>
>I'm running debian/testing and have unzipped boa constructor into
>/usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages. When I try to run it with the command line:
>
>python /usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages/boa-constructor-0.2.0/Boa.py
>
>I get:
>
>Starting Boa Constructor v0.2.0
>importing wxPython
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages/boa-constructor-0.2.0/Boa.py", line
177, in ?
>    if wxVERSION < __version__.wx_version:
>NameError: name 'wxVERSION' is not defined
>
>What do I have wrong?

The newest version of Boa contructor is actually an untested version. There
are several of files missing one or more 'import ???' statements, resulting
in many "name ???? is not defined" errors. That wastes a lot of time for
whoever interested in that package.

I believe one of the developers posted a message in one of the related
forums, saying that the users have to either use an older version instead,
or manully find and add "imports" into 3 different files. But, according
to my experiences I caught like 5 missed imports, and the one you
mentioned, 'wxVERSION', is not in those I caught.

Boa Constructor looks like a wonderful package, I have no idea why those
developers didn't want to fix that simple problem, which can be easily
solved by adding several imports.

I think the only way out is to find where this wxVERSION is defined, and
add import whereever it is needed.

pan