[Tutor] Any good way to read Tutor mails?

Charlie Clark charlie@begeistert.org
Sun Apr 20 12:03:02 2003

> Hi all,
>
> For a long time I've been wondering how you guys read and reply the py
> Tutor emails. Is there any package, any module that can let you read one
> specific message and just hit one [reply] button to reply that message to
> either the sender or the list?
>
> The commonly-used email clients seem to fail in this regard, and I have
> been bothered by having to cut and paste the message body when replying.

Hi pan,

In the BeOS the default behaviour of e-mail clients is to include only
selected text in an e-mail which makes replying to the digest quite easy: I
just mark the message I want to reply to and press reply. It doesn't,
however, automatically do reply to all which is how I like to reply to this
list. I think Eudora used to be like that but the last time I used it
didn't do this any more. I've thought about possible ways of improving
things like a tree display: it's quite easy on the BeOS because every
e-mail is an individual file. As has already been said it should be quite
easy to parse a digest mail (from Mailman) as the separators and many of
the headers are kept. So I might come up with something like this for the
BeOS. That said this is a very niche OS so it wouldn't have much relevance
for other systems which _generally_ use the mbox format. I recently got
into trouble on the FreeBSD list which up until recently was Majordomo
based because a lot of users depend on the mail-id's for threading in their
programs (I think Mutt does this) and digests make a mess of such id's.
Someone else is likely to have had a similar idea and possibly come up with
a solution. What OS are you using?

But if you're using a web-mail client I don't know what can be done other
than write your own using the new mail module and HTML to give you internal
anchors and possibly multi-part forms. This would be an interesting project
and not to difficult I think.

Charlie