[Tutor] Outlook Express

Allyn Weaks allyn.@tardigrade.net
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 00:08:20 -0700

On 24/9/02, Lance wrote:

> Many thanks for the informative posts. I want to create a folder
> in Outlook Express for the Tutor messages. My message rule says look
> for Tutor in the subject line and move the success to a Tutor folder.

A lot of mail clients seem to completely ignore anything in square
brackets, which is irritating.

But for filtering mailing lists, it's best to use the Sender:  line
anyway if possible, i.e.

Sender: tutor-admin@python.org

Search for the complete address in your filter, not part of it.

Sender is the best bet because it's rarely forged, and indicates where
the message is actually coming from.  This list does include a Sender
line, so you're home free.  For lists that don't have one (unusual, but
it happens) examine the headers for other header lines that are always
present, are unique to the list, and are unlikely to occur by accident.
For Tutor, a few possibilites would be:

and maybe

One might be tempted to use the To: line, but that will generate false
positives.  If someone replies to your post with both the list address
and your address in To:, both will end up in the list folder.

The Subject line is generally the least useful choice because it has
nothing to do with origin.  Anyone can put anything they want in the
Subject and they do.  Viruses/worms frequently use subject lines that
they find lying around in mailboxes.
--
Allyn Weaks    allyn@tardigrade.net   Seattle, WA  Sunset zone 5