[Tutor] Re: Compiling Python on MacOSX.

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 00:11:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 10:30:43AM -0500, montana wrote:
> | Hi Everyone-
> |
> | I'm following the directions from:
> |
> | http://tony.lownds.com/macosx/tkinter.html
> |
> | I'm trying to  compile Python 2.2 with aqua Tk support for my computer.
> | I'm running 10.2.1 on a G4 Powerbook. When I run 'make' it barfs on the
> | followign error:
> |
> | Modules/_tkinter.c: In function `Sleep':
> | Modules/_tkinter.c:252: warning: implicit declaration of function
> | `select'
> | make: *** [Modules/_tkinter.o] Error 1
>
> Ooh, ouch.  Does anyone know if OSX lacks a select()?

That just can't be right.  OS X is a BSD Unix: it would be a Cardinal sin
for it not to have select().  *grin*

On the other hand, that error doesn't really appear to be about select(),
as the computer is just giving a warning about the missing declaration.
I think it might be somewhere else.  Do you mind cutting-and-pasting a bit
more of your compilation?  Try searching for the phrase 'error:' rather
than 'warning:'.

You might also want to check with the pythonmac-sig about this problem:

    http://www.python.org/sigs/pythonmac-sig/

Someone there should know more about the oddities in compiling Python and
Tk for your system.

Best of wishes to you!