[Tutor] Newbie!!!!!!

Bob Roher shiska@swbell.net
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 00:51:05 -0500

--Boundary_(ID_eJl7rdIBJ2Pnpb/Q/UhKpg)

> Hi there!
> As my heading says, I am new to programming.
>
> Well my question is this: I have started writing some small
> programs in Python, with the help of a few tutorials.  Now, in
> order to get them to run I must first save them as .py files???  I
> have been doing this but I don't know how to run the programs to
> see if they are working out or not.
>
> So I have come to a standstill, as there is no point inputting
> programs if I cannot test them.
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> I would be very appreciative.
>
> Thanks.

Hi Phil.  Have you downloaded and installed Python from python.org yet?  You'll need the interpreter to run the program.  If so, then you can run the program from a command line like such:  c:\python22\python program.py  I believe you'll need to be in the directory that python is installed in to do that or pointing to that directory.  You might also want to check out IDLE, you can open a new window for each program or function you are working on and test them in the Python shell as you write.  You should have IDLE installed if you have downloaded Python, it comes with it. (This advice applies to the Windows version, I don't have Linux installed so you'll have to muddle through the instructions if you're using that OS)

--Boundary_(ID_eJl7rdIBJ2Pnpb/Q/UhKpg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>&gt; Hi there!<BR>&gt; As my heading says, I am new to
programming.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Well my question is this: I have started writing
some small<BR>&gt; programs in Python, with the help of a few tutorials.&nbsp;
Now, in<BR>&gt; order to get them to run I must first save them as .py
files???&nbsp; I<BR>&gt; have been doing this but I don't know how to run the
programs to<BR>&gt; see if they are working out or not.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; So I have come to a standstill, as there is no point
inputting<BR>&gt; programs if I cannot test them. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Can anyone
help me?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I would be very appreciative.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;
Thanks.<BR><BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi Phil.&nbsp; Have you downloaded and
installed Python from python.org yet?&nbsp; You'll need the interpreter to run
the program.&nbsp; If so, then you can run the program from a command line like
such:&nbsp; c:\python22\python program.py&nbsp; I believe you'll need to be in
the directory that python is installed in to do that or pointing to that
directory.&nbsp; You might also want to check out IDLE, you can open a new
window for each program or function you are working on and test them in the
Python shell as you write.&nbsp; You should have IDLE installed if you have
downloaded Python, it comes with it. (This advice applies to the Windows
version, I don't have Linux installed so you'll have to muddle through the
instructions if you're using that OS)</FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_eJl7rdIBJ2Pnpb/Q/UhKpg)--