[Tutor] Question about socket connections

Ashish Shrestha lists@shrestha.net.np
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:18:49 +0545

Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
 > On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 14:36, Ashish Shrestha wrote:
 >

 >>I have done Gui apps with xmlrpc. Here's my logic.
 >>
 >>I implement xmlrpc client and xmlrpc server in both side (client and
server)

 >>so client has a xmlrpc server + client and server has xmlrpc
server+client

 >>when the client starts it registers with the server with its url
 >>(address and port)
 >>
 >>i then have a two way channel for communication.
 >

 > Thats essentially what I had started, except that I had the client ask
 > the server for a port number, that way allowing more than one client to
 > operate on the same machine.
 >
 > How were you handling the actual server class in your apps?

i had the client try to start the its xmlrpc server at say port 9000 if
there is a
bind exception i then try 9001 and so on till 9050 (another arbitary limit)

when it is successful it registers with the server with ip:port!

by the way i am using multicast to locate the server instead of giving
the server address in client!

so my clients are autoconfiguring.

ashish