[Tutor] basic python question

Ron Nixon nixonron@yahoo.com
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 07:17:28 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1167826968-1032531448=:17914

I'm playing around with the "How to Think Like A Computer Scientist" book and trying one of the examples and I keep getting syntax errors even though I'm typing word for word.

if X%2==0:
print x, "Is even"
else:
print x, "is odd"

but I get a syntax error on the "else:" as shown below. Can I not do this with IDLE?

SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>> if x%2==0:
 print x, "is even"
 else:

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

--0-1167826968-1032531448=:17914

<P>I'm playing around with the "How to Think Like A Computer Scientist" book and trying one of the examples and I keep getting syntax errors even though I'm typing word for word.
<P>&nbsp;
<P>if X%2==0:
<P>print x, "Is even"
<P>else:
<P>print x, "is odd"
<P>&nbsp;
<P>but I get a syntax error on the "else:" as shown below. Can I not do this with IDLE?
<P>&nbsp;
<P>SyntaxError: invalid syntax<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; if x%2==0:<BR>&nbsp;print x, "is even"<BR>&nbsp;else:<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>SyntaxError: invalid syntax<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;
<P>&nbsp;
--0-1167826968-1032531448=:17914--