[Tutor] Tkinter + OSX

darksyyyde darksyyyde@earthlink.net
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 23:51:02 -0600

On Wednesday, September 18, 2002, at 07:41 PM, tutor-request@python.org
wrote:

> <snip>
>

> --__--__--

> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:00:08 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Tutor] Tkinter + OSX
> From: SA <sarmstrong@shearwatercorp.com>
> To: Tutor <tutor@python.org>
>
> First try this at the command line:
> %which python
>
> If your reply is /sw/bin/python or something dimilar from the /sw
> directory then fink screwed up.

No, i made a /usr/local/bin before config and make

%wich python  -- reflects it correctly.

> If the reply is /usr/bin/python then you do not have you environment
> setup properly because it is not recognizing apps from /sw/bin.  Once
> /sw/bin is in your path you should remove any trace of python from
> usr/bin and usr/lib then you can setup the default python to be from
> /sw/bin instead of /usr/bin. This is the issue you will encounter when
> using fink. All your apps are installed under /sw/bin. I wish the fink
> developers would come up with a way to add this to your PATH
> automatically. But alas ...

The thing is, the fink/gzip wouldnt work.
so i pulled the tar.gz via gui out of fink and into my /usr/local/bin.
Then just unzipped it with stufit expander.
Then opened terminal and set up the directory. Then ./configure.
Then %sudo make install.
Ill see what the mac pythoneers have to say about it.
I appreciate the responses here though.

> Anyways. 10.2 has python installed natively and I heard it has Tk and
> Tcl installed by default also but I get the same error. What this error
> is saying is that Tk is not installed properly because python cant find
> it?
>
> There are some sites out there that explain how to install TK/Tcl and
> there is a MacOSX release for this, but I never got it to work right
> under 10.1 so I had to resort to the fink method also. It works if you
> are running under XDarwin so it really is not native. Hopefully the
> mac-python group will get it together and switch to OSX so that some
> progress can be made in this direction. They are still the python with
> Tkinter support for OS9. Oh well, one can wish...

fink installed tcl/tk just fine. However its not in the same directory
as python.

> You could always use jython and use the built in java on OSX.

That would be kind of cool. I know very little about it though.
Is it a half breed between java and python, or just python that can import/
use java classes etc. ?

> Other than that it is still a PC world for Pythoneers. Unless you feel
> like hacking it together.

Why couldnt python use/import the project builder files used for templates
of cocoa(objective C) applications?
Then mac people wouldnt even have to worry about tkinter.