[Tutor] Re: [Edu-sig] Getting Started

glingl glingl@mail.rg16.asn-wien.ac.at
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:39:50 +0200

--- Randy Latimer <rlatimer@tjhsst.edu> schrieb:
> 1. Simple Question
>
>   I want to load a python program and "run" it.  For instance, from the
> tutorial:
> def countdown(n):
>   if n == 0:
>     print "Blastoff!"
>   else:
>     print n
>     countdown(n-1)
>
> I save this as count.py.  Go into python.  Then what do I do?
>
> Here's the error message I'm getting:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> TypeError: object of type 'module' is not callable

There are two ways to solve this problem, which partially
arises giving to your function the same name as to  your
module.

1. way: call countdown.countdown(3)
which means: execute the function countdown (with argument 3)
from module countdown

2. way: change the import statement to
from countdown import countdown
(or: from countdown import * (i. e. everything))
then countdown(3) should work.

Regards, Gregor

> 2.  What's the best way to do GUI in python?  PyGTK?

 There is no best way, only a best way for you. Depends
on your needs, I think.