[Tutor] RPMs

Kow K kowk@mac.com
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 21:24:10 -0700

On Sunday, September 15, 2002, at 10:36 AM, Scot W. Stevenson wrote:

> Jikes. So it is really true true that RedHat is still shipping 7.3 with
> Python 1.5.3? I find that somewhat hard to believe, since SuSE 8.0 comes
> out of the box with Python 2.2, and it is so old that 8.1 is planned for
> release in September already...

Yes, that's true. The reason is just that a lot of Red Hat installation and
adminitration tasks are done with scripts written in Python 1.5.2. Actually,
  you can optionally install Python 2.x as "python2" in addition to Python
1.5.2. So, it's possible to say that 'python' is captivated by the system
until RHL 7.3, for better or worse..

 From 7.3 on, however, some programs seemt to depend on scripts written in
Python 2.x. This means that 'python2' is also gonna be captivated by the
system, for better or worse.

Kow