[Tutor] A NOVEL IDEA- no more spam! (Offtopic)

Scot W. Stevenson scot@possum.in-berlin.de
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 19:32:25 +0200

Hello Kirk,

> OK, recently I saw a site with an interesting idea. SPAM PROOFING.

You will not be able to stop spam with any technical means, however clever,
ever: Spam is not a technical problem, it is a legal (social) problem
caused by the inability or rather the unwillingness of the United States
government to pass laws that protect its citizens' interests in the face
of business pressure.

This is how you /really/ stop spam: In Germany and other parts of Europe,
using other people's resources (fax paper, computer hardware, metered
phone time, etc) for your own business purposes without their permission
is /verboten/, because it is basically a form of theft. In the last year,
I received one (yes, one) piece of spam from a German source, and I sent
back an email citing the appropriate federal laws and asking the
originator:

- To inform me which data concerning my person he is in possession of
- To delete all said data from his data base
- To confirm, in writing, that he has done so
- To give me the name of the person who gave him my data
- To do all this inside a certain time frame

and to smile when he does it, or else I'll send his address to the state
agency for data protection (or whatever /Datenschutz/ would be in English)
and sue his ass from here to the French border for violating my right
under German federal law to determine what happens to my personal data.
I also sent a copy of the mail CC to his provider's  postmaster address.

Worked like a charm, works every time.

So if you really want to do something against spam, stop wasting your time
coding something they're just going to outsmart anyway and write a letter
to your congressperson, pointing out three things:

1. That spam is degrading productivity in U.S. companies, because U.S.
employees have to wade thru tons of spam in their email boxes, while their
European counterparts don't, at least not to that extent;

2. That storing, relaying, and filtering spam is costing the U.S. billions
of dollars in hardware and manhours;

3. That spam is destroying email as a communication form in the U.S. the
same way that it has almost destroyed newsgroups.

You'll have to write an actual letter, tho, since your congressperson
probably doesn't read his or her email anymore - too much spam, you see.

On this note, I would like to point out that the amount of spam from the
U.S. that I have received to this address has dropped to almost zero in
the last year, hopefully because somebody in the address selling business
(which, I should point out, is illegal here, too) finally has realized
that if somebody in Hamburg, Germany is going to get a penis enlargement,
he's probably not going to fly to Dorktown, Idaho for it. Or maybe
American companies finally realized that they are getting ripped off when
they pay for addresses with a .de (or .uk, .fr, .nl, .it, .es, .no, etc)
at the end. Or, of course, my provider might just have brilliant spam
filters installed.

It would be nice, you know, if the U.S. finally made the .us domain
mandatory: That way you would help spammers make sure they only reach
their target audience (which is good for whatever reasons they're telling
you spam as such is supposed to be good for you) and the rest of the world
doesn't have to suffer thru what is basically an Internet disease
transmitted by American providers.

Now _that_ is a technical solution that would solve spam problems for
millions and millions of people...

Y, Scot

--
   Scot W. Stevenson wrote me on Sunday, 15. Sep 2002 in Zepernick, Germany
       on his happy little Linux system that has been up for 2152 hours