[Tutor] A Book for People Like Me

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry@attbi.com
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 16:41:25 -0700

On Tuesday 03 September 2002 15:22, Alan Colburn wrote:
> I know it's fairly common, and understandable, for folks to ask this li=
st
> for suggestions about books. I guess it's my turn :-) Rather than askin=
> for a general "good" book, I'm looking for suggestions for particular t=
ypes
> of books. At this stage I'd call myself an advanced beginner--I need he=
lp
> with things like understanding OOP concepts, creating GUIs, Python on t=
he
> web, etc.
>
> Here's the important part, though: My learning style is such that the b=
est
> books, for me personally, have a couple common attributes. Language is =
key.
> I understand concepts, but I have a lot of difficulty with the speciali=
zed
> vocabulary of programming. It's a major stumbling block, for me, with s=
ome
> of the Python documentation for example. It's also a reason I've had su=
ch
> difficulty with OOP. So, I hope to find a text that  uses a minimum of
> jargon, whose author carefully explains the specialized terms (s)he use=
s.

Find an OOP book or two which are language neutral.  As mentioned in the=20
factory class thread the book "Design Patterns: Elements of=20
Reusuable Object-Orientated Software" by Gamma, Helm, Johnson and Vlissid=
es is
an important one to read because it helps build the vocabulary required t=
o=20
talk about OO programming.  It has smalltalk, c++ and other examples in i=
t=20
but largely it talks about the thought process of coding.

After that I liked the book "Pragmatic Programmer".  Just an all around "=
I=20
have been there and done that for 20 years, learn from my experience" typ=
e=20
book.