[Tutor] OT: Notion of persistence in Python

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry@attbi.com
Mon Oct 28 17:09:02 2002

On Monday 28 October 2002 13:49, McCarney, James Alexander wrote:
> Thanks Sean,

> So here is where things like "pickle" and "shelve" come into play I gue=
ss?
> Taking objects and saving data in them. Is this more advisable than rea=
ding
> from and writing to an RDBMS? Time saving issues...

the real advantage of an rdbms is the interface not the storage.

let's use sql as an example:

select * where last_name =3D "Perry"

also you can put all that data in a RDBMS and then write a billion differ=
ent=20
clients to read it.  web access, desktop program access, cell phones,=20
whatever.

shelve, pickle, etc are really only useful to the program that created th=
em or=20
perhaps to another python program which knows the secrets.  This does not=
=20
make them bad it is simply a matter of what you need.