[Tutor] Books

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:34:19 +0100

> books or tutorials that give examples of useful system
> administration and OOP programs.

Lutz' "Programming Python" 2bnd Edition may please you....

It covers sys admin type examples and has a fair bit
on GUIs under Python.

> How do I get started writing GUI stuff in python?

I'd go visit the Tkinter section of the python web
site and follow the linked tutorials...

> Is it anything like Java GUI programming?

At one level yes, all GUI programming shares similar
concepts. Certainly Python GUIs tend to use concepts
likelayout managers, callback functions etc etc.
If you use jython you can even use the Java AWT/Swing
classes!

Alan g.
Author of the 'Learning to Program' web site