[Tutor] Re: Speaking of regular expressions

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman@dman.ddts.net
Fri Nov 22 11:15:02 2002

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 09:22:03AM +0100, Magnus Lycka wrote:
| At 21:53 2002-11-21 -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| >"Mastering Regular Expressions" by Jeffrey Friedl, published by
| >O'Reilly.
| >
| >The book is a bit dated now (for example the python-specific parts
| >refer to the 'regex' module which predates the 're' module)
|=20
| Really?
|=20
| The second edition is from July 2002.

Hmm, well, my comment is apparently quite dated :-).  My copy is First
Edition (Jan. 1997) Seventh Printing (Dec. 1998).

| The book is fairly Perl centric,

This shouldn't be a major drawback because, apart from the historical
syntax in grep, sed, awk and the like, most systems use
perl-compatible regexes now.

| but it seems that the author noticed the change in python.

I'd expect so :-).

Thanks Gregor and Magnus for pointing out the new edition.

For Bob :
    All I can say is look for the potential application of regular
    expressions in the problems you come across.  Then try and devise
    an expression that works for you.  One example is searching a file
    for certain data.  There you could use grep and/or sed to locate
    and reformat the data for use.

-D

--=20
The way of a fool seems right to him,