[Tutor] xml parsing

Isaac Hall hall@ouhep1.nhn.ou.edu
Fri Nov 22 11:01:02 2002

hi Alan,

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:

> (ie. where there is no separate matching </mmm> tag.)
> It might work I just haven't tried it or looked closely enough
> to be sure.

Yes, I know this does not handle all types of XML tags, but for the job
that I do, this handles all that I need.  I recieve numerical data nested
in XML, and all data have a name.  there are no attributes.  However this
does not handle one thing that I need it to, and that is repeated tag
names within the same directory.  My plan is to make a list for any
repeated tags (for instance):
would give
{block:{item:[1,2,3]}}
but this is not in there yet.
Perhaps if I knew more about general XML then I could make this a more
general thing, but I only know about the type of data I wish to read.

> > item=item=XMLstring[XMLstring.find('>')+1:XMLstring.find('</'+
> > key+'>')]
>
> Is this a bug? or did you mean to have item=item=...

yes, this was a copy and paste mistake....sorry

> > This doesn't seem to be the fastest thing ever, but it does the job.
> > comments anyone?  could this possibly be 'useless python'?
>
> Definitely good for Useless I think.
>
> Alan G.

Thanks for comments
Ike