[Tutor] How do I print built in functions [Useless Python / simplifying helpdesk.py]

J or M Montgomery monashee@junction.net
Thu Nov 14 14:33:03 2002

Bob Gailer wrote:
> Around 1970 (year, not address) I was introduced to DEC's PDP8, the
> "first" "minicomputer". When I wanted to use it, I had to enter about 20
> instructions into memory. Each memory word was 12 bits; there were 12
> front panel toggle switches. One would flip them into a certain bit
> pattern, then "deposit" into memory, repeat till the "bin loader"
> program was in memory; place some punched paper tape into the tape
> reader, and hit the start button. The paper tape contained the "rim
> loader" which prepared the computer to read a program. It's interesting
> to compare these steps with the boot program now resident in ROM that
> reads the boot program from magnetic media.

In the immortal words of Yogi Berra, "This is deja vue all over again".

I moved from IBM 360's and using Fortran and PL1, during the late
sixties to using a PDP8e in our lab.

We had a delux version with 8k of those 12 bit words for memory size
instead of the standard 4k. Yes we toggled in our bootstrap code and
then rigged a punched paper tape in the teletype to read in data or
programs. Not much could be accomplished without using assembler
language. PAL-3 was reasonably easy to learn.

Hard disks - what are those?
Floppy disks - what are they?

Tape backup - yep, on a tape which I guess was 1/2 inch wide. It looked
about like current video tape.

Thanks Bob for triggering those memories.

A relic from the days of iron-core memory.

John Montgomery