[Tutor] Re: re clear screen

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman@dman.ddts.net
Tue Nov 12 11:34:03 2002

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 04:35:51PM -0000, alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:

| And quite how we should clear a teletype=20

I think that requires white-out and a rewind knob :-).

| or WAP terminal remains a mystery=20

I'm not familiar with this one, so no joke here.

| 24 newlines  as a default seems kind of wrong somehow.

Indeed, some IBM TN3270 (and similar) terminals can have quite a few
more lines than that, not to mention size variations possible with
xterm and other emulators.  Of course, on some terminals you'll need a
Carriage Return as well or you'll end up with a stair-stepping effect.

These variations in terminals are what prompted Bill Joy to create the
'curses' library a few decades ago.  However, he created it on and for
UNIX.  I've heard of a few look-alikes for Windows butI don't think
any of them are as complete or solid as the current BSD 'ncurses'
implementation.  No doubt you've already realized that cross-platform
"graphical" console applications are nearly impossible to create (and
are impossible with some terminals).

-D

--=20
Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for;
through the fear of the Lord a man avoids evil.
        Proverbs 16:6
=20
http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU