[Tutor] OT-ish: [Fwd: Answer to challenge: CPAN Script shroud re-written in python :-)]

Rob Andrews rob@uselesspython.com
Fri, 24 May 2002 13:40:22 -0500

This is one of the most amusing contributions anyone has made to Useless
Python to date, and I feel wickedly compelled to pass it on for those
who get the joke.

And for the author's punishment and reward, I'll publish it on Useless
pretty much as is (with maybe a *just kidding* in a comment or something).

Rob

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Answer to challenge: CPAN Script shroud re-written in python :-)
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 19:19:54 +0100
From: "Donald McCarthy" <paddy3118@tiscali.co.uk>
To: <rob@jam.rr.com>

I read your challenge from http://uselesspython.com/pythonchallenge.html:

     Visit the archive of scripts on CPAN
     <http://www.cpan.org/scripts/index.html> (not the modules, unless
     you really aim to impress us) and re-write some of them in Python.

And found the CPAN script shroud:

     'shroud' is a script that will transform perl code into
     virtually unreadable text, while retaining the full
     functionality of that code. It is used to shroud the
     source code of commercial perl programs. More information
     is available from the POD documentation within the script
     and from this URL:
     http://www.craic.com/resources/tech_notes/tech_note_2.html

     (http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/C/CR/CRAIC/shroud-1.0)

  From the Description I wrote this: