[Tutor] Request for Comments

Bryce Embry bryce@bembry.org
Wed, 22 May 2002 17:04:38 -0500

This is not a programming related question, but a request for assistance in
developing some training materials.

Being the fool I can be, I've volunteered to present a two-and-a-half hour
session at a state conference this summer for school technology
coordinators.  My session is supposed to help system administrators start
learning to program.

I've developed a rather lengthy hand-out / tutorial (26 pages) which I am
supposed to submit to the conference folks next week for burning on the
official TETA Summer Institute CD-ROM.

My goal in the session is to walk through some increasingly difficult
programs, adding new skills as we go, until we can build two or three
scripts that will be useful to the administrators.  We start with "Hello
World" and end up with a script to create passwords and save them to a text
file, plus a bonus script that edits filenames, and another bonus script
that edits text file contents. Obviously I cannot thoroughly cover
everything, so I try to give them enough of a foundation that they can
build on their own once they leave.

So, seeing as this is a rather ambitious project for me, I wanted to
solicit some extra "eyes".  If anyone has the time or inclination to look
through a 26-page introductory tutorial, I'd appreciate any comments you
could offer.  The text might have a few typographical errors (even though
I've combed it three times now) and I'm not the best writer in the world,
but what I'm really wanting is comments from Python users on the code,
notes and approach in general.

The pdf file is at www.bembry.org/tech/python/StartProgramming.pdf

If you could email off list I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thank you,

Bryce Embry

"Lord, you establish peace for us.
All that we have accomplished